Sunday, August 19, 2012

WWE SummerSlam 2012 Predictions

Thought I'd switch gears a bit and talk about today's upcoming WWE's 25th SummerSlam.  I've watched WWF/WWE wrestling since I was a kid.  Years would go by were I didn't watch the program at all.  Until my friend Loyd said, "Hey man, you should come over and check out this game I have."  That game was N64's WWF No Mercy and Sweet Jesus, I was hooked.  I started hanging out with Loyd every Monday and Thursday (at the time) to watch the WWE programming at his house.  It stayed like that for quite a long time.  I was in love with "wrasslin'" again.  I even got to go to SummerSlam (2001) and watch some great matches.  RVD vs. Jeff Hardy, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin vs. Kurt Angle, The Rock vs. Booker T, and more.  Yes, I was there.



Fond memories to say the least.  Good times.

I thought I would cast my predictions for the matches before the show starts.

Santino Marella (C, C is for Champion) vs. Antonio Cesaro for the United States Championship.

I'm a little bummed to see this as a pre-show match.  If I recall Cesaro has bested Marella twice before this match, so he's showing strong, though Marella can strike the "Cobra" at any time.  If they want a swerve have Michael McGillicutty come in to distract Marella and have Cesaro get the heel win on this bad boy.  Cheap roll up to piss off the fans.  #Hotsome

Winner and New United States Champion, Antonio Cesaro!

So there has been rumblings about how Triple H behind the scenes is having more television time for the Tag Team Division, at least that is what the dirt sheets are saying.  More tag team action is a great thing, though if the sheets are to believed the Diva Division is going to have even less air time.  Bummer.  As far as I can see the Diva Title isn't even being defended at SummerSlam. #NoBueno

Kofi Kingston & R-Truth (C) vs. The Prime Time Players (Darren Young & Titus O' Neil)

Now I think the fact that they finally put the Tag Team Championships match on the SummerSlam card it does show an interest in bringing back more tag teams.  They have to fill that extra hour of wrestling with something and tag matches are perfect.  That being said I think Kingston and Truth will retain the belts, though I wouldn't mind seeing what the Prime Time Players (minus A.W.) can do with a Tag Title run.  This one is a tough one.  I think I'm going to go with...

Winners and still Champions Kofi Kingston & R-Truth!

I'm glad to see the Miz hold the Intercontinental Champion though I was hoping to see Christian hold it just a bit longer.  Glad to see Miz getting a bit of a push two after his slight absence filming a new movie for WWE Studios, The Marine: Homefront.

The Miz (C) vs. Rey Mysterio for the Intercontinental Championship

Both performers have been off of television for awhile (The Miz for filming and Mysterio coming back from injury) so it's nice to see them get a bit of a paycheck from the PPV.  This one is up in the air, but I have a feeling in my gut with this one.

Count Out for Mysterio and The Miz is still your Intercontinental Champion!

Maybe a run-in by Christian for a much needed Heel turn, The Miz gets a beat-down by Christian with Mysterio coming in to make the save for Miz.  (Just my own idea there!)

This next match will be interesting as long as it's not interrupted by AJ Lee.  I'm talking about the Kane/D. Bryan match.  Two great performers, two very distinct styles to be sure.  This one is going to be brutal and hopefully not over in like five mintues.  I would love to see what these two can do if given twenty plus minutes.  I am on the fence about who will win this one, but I got to predict so I'm predicting...

Winner by DQ, Kane!

Yep, I think the Yes! Chant will drive Bryan to do something reckless and dastardly to the Big Red Monster and get himself DQ'd for the match.  AJ Lee comes out, says the match is a No DQ match.  Another great five to ten minutes of back and forth and out of nowhere Daniel Bryan applies the "No Lock" and can has no choice but to tap out!  So...

Winner by Submission, Daniel Bryan!

I think this next match might just be a show stealer!  That's right I'm talking about Dolph Ziggler and Chris Jericho.  Great build-up for this match between these two.  The match has been brewing for weeks and it's going to be a in your face, fast-paced, clinic out there.  Both of these guys can go the distance and I'm really interested in the story they are going to tell in the ring tonight!  Can't wait for this one to be sure.

Chris Jericho vs. Dolph Ziggler

It's hard to pinpoint who's walking away with the victory.  Either one of these guys winning would suit me just fine.  I know Y2J is going on tour with Fozzy very soon and Ziggler needs a win against Jericho to push me just that much more.  I mean he is Mr. Money in the Bank and to have him lose to Jericho right before Jericho leaves is crazy talk.  My money is on this outcome:

Winner, Mr. Money in the Bank and the next World Heavyweight Champion, Dolph Ziggler!

Now this next match is probably going to be the "Main Event" as in star power and sheer brutality to be sure, but to have this headline is crazy.  (The Champions should headline PPV's!)  Great storyline leading up to this and really looking forward to see how these two future Hall of Famer's get the job done.

Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar

It's been awhile since we've seen Triple H in the ring but I think this is going to be a fist-a-cuffs bare knuckle brawler, 30's style!  Now, Lesnar lost to John Cena at Extreme Rules so I really expect that they will have Lesnar run roughshed all over HHH throughout the whole match only to have the King of Kings almost pull off the victory only to be snatched away at the last second.

Winner by Submission, Brock Lesnar.

Where will they go with Brock from there is anyone's guess but I love to see him tear through people.  I know there isn't a ton of dates with the company in his contract so they'll have to use him intelligently.

Okay, now on to the real, "Main Events"!  First up is the World Heavyweight Championship match.  Now it's a "it's on", "it's off" type story that I feel will see a good amount of action from both Sheamus and Del Rio.  The build up to this has been great between these two and it's a bit of a tough call but this is how I think it's going to play out.

Winner and still World Heavyweight Champion, Sheamus!

Then out of nowhere, Del Rio attacks Sheamus putting him down with the cross arm bar.  Referees come out to pull Del Rio away, Ziggler hits the ropes, cashes in his Money in the Bank Contract, hits the Zig-Zag, and then as the crowd will probably boo heavily this next phrase will be uttered:

Winner and new World Heavyweight Champion, Dolph Ziggler!

At least that is my prediction for how that is going to end right there.  But don't fret, there is still the final match!

Big Show vs. John Cena vs. CM Punk for the WWE Championship

This triple threat match is always a wild card.  Anyone can win this, with the Champ not even being pinned.  It's a total crap shoot.  If I was looking at the big picture I would have Punk retain but only by the skin of his teeth.  I don't think Punk will have the belt after tonight.  WWE make this one a nail biter, a real close one, if you know what I mean.  But ultimetly the wrap up will probably be this:

Winner and new WWE Champion, Big Show!

Yep, I think Big Show will win this one.  The fans are hot on Cena right now and Punk too, so logically they'll give the belt to Show to have at least one heel as champ, and one face as champ.  At least that is what I'd do.

There might be a Diva's title match in there and if so I predict Layla keeping the gold around her waist.  I'd also bet money a quick Ryback/Slater squash match to be somewhere on the card.  I think you know you'll win that one...

Well there you have it, after the show I'll post the winners and victory conditions to see how close, or how horribly wrong I was!  Should be fun!  See you here in a bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment