Thursday, June 27, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Modesto LARP, Part Duex

I know I said that I LARP'ed alot.  But what exactly does that mean? 

Here's my Nerdcore Backstory (Resources X 5 Bitches!) I was living with my mom in Downtown Modesto in 1997, I was three years out of High School and I didn't really know anyone in the area besides a few apples here and there, good and bad.  I happened into the local game store that was location a few stores from where I worked for about three months or so.  I had purchased a few Vampire books here and there, but I hadn't found a role-playing group yet until I stumbled into The Gauntlet, Modesto's game store at that time.  I had become friends with the workers at the store and one day Reuben told me there was a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP coming up.  I went, had a blast, and never looked back.

I met so many people during my role-playing years.  During those early days there was a ton of players rolling in from out of town and a very dedicated home player base.  I think the first set of rules was ISTG, then a trio of players ran the game, then we switched to the LARP being CAM rule.  Doing those early days of converting to Laws of the Night I said I would run the game.  People came out of the woodwork, it was totally insane and I was not prepared at all.  I didn't last that long in that capacity and soon enough I was back to being a player and eventually I stopped playing, some people moved on from the game, or they moved away, or had kids you know, all that life stuff got in way and I just stepped away, but just to let you know, the game is still going on in beautiful Modesto (and I'm assuming) on Lane St. (if that location has change, please let me know so I can update this blog post.

It was crazy there were games every week for quite a long time, every Saturday night from like 7PM until "when we're done".  It hard to even fathom staying up that late now.  I remember some days I would get home at three in the morning and then I couldn't sleep because I was still winding down from game.  Those were the days, shit. 

Have some fond memories of the Modesto LARP scene, Modestians?  Any Out-of-Towners wanna chime in here?  I would love to further this blog series of Modesto LARP days, help me out and be apart of this here little thing called the Interwebz.

2 comments:

  1. I remember playing back then every weekend... it was epic such fond memories of hours of playing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Unknown! We did play a lot down there. It was crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete